Sunday, July 5, 2009

This past week Adam and Emily and I had the opportunity to participate in a re-enactment of a pioneer trek. We spent 4 days pretending we were pioneers and experiencing the hardships that come with that. One day we walked 15 miles. We walked the Rocky Ridge, went through mud bogs, crossed the Sweetwater River, and the boys called out for the Mormon Batallion which left the girls to push and pull the handcarts up a sandy hill. We camped 3 nights, played pioneer games, and had our lives changed forever. I have to say that this experience ranks in the top 10 of spiritual experiences in my life. I learned that I love Wyoming more that ever. To live in place where so many sacred things happened and where so much sacrafice took place is a real priviledge.
This was a wet and muddy moment. We were all wet and sandy. Real life for the pioneers.
Adam is helping a young lady across the Sweetwater River. This was a very sweet experience. Before crossing the river we were told the story of the young men who helped the Martin's Company people across the river.
Emily is being carried across the Sweetwater River at the place where the young men helped the Martin's Company across when it was icy and cold. This was a very sacred moment in our trek thinking about those pioneers who were cold and distraught just thinking about crossing the river. The youth were very reverent and respectful of this moment.
Emily was such a trooper! She is a strong and sturdy girl! We crossed seven mud bogs, some easier than others.

5 comments:

Seth and Sierra said...

Wow! That looks hard, but like it was a great experience...
the story of the young men bringing the people across the sweetwater is one of my favorites.

Laura Howe said...

That is cool, I would love to do something like that. SOme day maybe when my kids are older. Go Emily!!

Kim said...

Oh! I wish I could have gone. I want to hear ALL about it! Please tell me all the stories when I get back to town!!

Missy said...

Adam and Emily's testimonies were so sweet yesterday. I am so glad to hear about the spiritual experiences they had. I wish we would have had a trek like that when we went.

Dora Lebo said...

Larene, I just finished listening to the Fire of the Covenant by Gerald Lund, yesterday. It touched me so much and so when I snooped in on your blog, wow. Right in the place where it happened. I also reflected back to the time you and Clark took me and mom to Martin's cove. What an awesome opportunity for you all. I am so glad you got to go when the weather wasn't 6 below.